How to Get Involved
Eat with us
- Eat in whenever you can.
- Participate in the reusable carryout program.
- Use carryout only when carrying out.
- Reduce the use of disposable packaging as much as possible.
- Recycle and compost whenever possible.
- Use appropriate receptacles when discarding waste.
There are many ways to support sustainability initiatives on campus. Together, all our small efforts can make a large, and positive, impact. Here are a few suggestions:
- Apply to be a member of the LEAF Outreach Team with the Office of Sustainability
- Help with the campus recycling program by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer with the campus arboretum
- Volunteer at the Farmers Market at Maryland
Contact Allison Tjaden at email@example.com or 301-314-1016 if you are interested in finding more ways to volunteer on campus.
Become a Green Dining Intern
Applications for Fall 2014 are now open! Please review the following applications closely:
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume (including two references), and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Green Dining Internship” in the subject of your email. Applications are due on Monday, May 12, 2014, 5 pm.
Contact Allison Tjaden at email@example.com with questions or comments.
Join the Sustainable Food Working Group
The Sustainable Food Working Group is working to find ways to increase sustainable food options at UMD. We are looking for student members for our subcommittees.
The Sustainable Food Working Group Subcommittees work to advance the goals of the Working Group in a targeted and focused way. Subcommittee members are responsible for meeting with subcommittee chairs monthly and providing support to the Sustainable Food Working Group.
The subcommittees are:
- Outreach & Education: This group will develop outreach and education opportunities related to the food system such as workshops, trips to local farms, speaking to UNIV100 and food oriented classes, etc. This group will coordinate and organize campus-wide events promoting sustainable food.
- Metrics & Reporting: Subcommittee members will develop reports for the Sustainable Food Working Group and UMD community. Additionally the group will identify and develop methods for collecting data to measure the success of new and ongoing programs.
To Apply: Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sustainable Food Working Group Application”:
- A statement of Interest, including the subcommittee you would like to apply for.
- A short paragraph describing how you became interested or how you have gained experience in an aspect of food systems, such as (but not limited to) ecological health, human health, nutrition, food access, climate change, food economics, fair labor, farming, or cultural connections to food. This can include classes you were especially engaged in, jobs you’ve held, experiences at home, etc.
- Describe previous experience with campus service and/or sustainability programs/projects.
If you have questions please contact Allison Tjaden, Sustainability and Wellness Coordinator, at email@example.com.