- Dining Plans
- Hours & Locations
- Prospective Students
- Resident Dining Plans
- Visitor Information
- Comment Card – The Shops at Maryland
- Comment Card – Applause cafe
- Dining Plans for Faculty and Staff
- Dining Dollars
- Online Services
- Hours and Locations
- Connector Dining Plans
- Useful Links
- What’s Happening
Maryland Dining can be an important asset to you while you’re in college. We will work hard to give you great Maryland Dining Experiences so you can eat well while you learn and live on this great campus.
Due to the ongoing public health crisis, we cannot predict exactly how the resident dining program will be configured next fall. We will continue to ensure that resident students and the campus community have access to plenty of good food. We pledge to remain responsive and flexible throughout these unprecedented times.
Maryland Dining is built on a platform of exceptional culinary experiences, high customer satisfaction, sustainability impacts, elimination of food insecurity and outstanding value.
What we offer:
EXCEPTIONAL CULINARY EXPERIENCES
- Our culinary team includes 13 trained and credentialed chefs assigned to dining halls, catering and retail operations.
- Each culinary station in the three dining halls has an individual theme and rotating offerings, as well as periodic specials.
- Current dining hall menus can be found at nutrition.umd.edu.
- Assistance for students with dietary allergies and intolerances.
- Our nutrition team and culinary team created the Purple Program: stations in each dining hall that offer food free from the nine major allergens.
- Menus have icons indicating what allergens are contained in each food item, and online menus list ingredients and icons with their descriptions.
- We suggest that students with allergies – especially multiple or threatening allergies – contact our nutrition team for counseling. They’re ready to work with you to provide safe and appropriate food all day long. Reach out to us at http://dining.umd.edu/contact-request-food-allergies-and-intolerances-2/
- We accommodate many restrictions and preferences. Menu icons specify which food is vegetarian, vegan or hallal. Nutrition.umd.edu includes information on ingredients, nutritional contents, cooking methods and more.
CONSISTENTLY HIGH CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
- Our staff are trained in customer service and work hard to ensure that your Maryland Dining experiences are positive. In addition, staff receive training in:
- Allergens – Cooks and servers wearing purple chef coats or aprons have specific training in understanding and assisting students with allergies.
- Employees are required to participate in COVID-19 protocol training sessions; service and cleaning protocols; and how to best maintain personal and customer safety.
- Customer comments / online conversations
- There is always an operations manager on site and we love to talk with students. We also have online comment cards that connect with the manager on duty. Comments and responses are posted on our website at go.umd.edu/DSconvo
- We participate in the NACUFS Benchmarking Survey (National Association of College and University Food Service), measuring guest satisfaction. This is another opportunity for you to tell us how we’re doing!
NOTEWORTHY SUSTAINABILITY IMPACTS
- The University of Maryland is the first university in the world to sign the World Resources Institute’s Cool Food Pledge. We committed to climate action and slashed food-related greenhouse gas emissions on campus by 25% as of 2020.
- We participate in the Menus of Change University Research Collaborative, an international group moving people toward healthier, more sustainable and delicious foods using evidence based research, education and innovation.
- Maryland Dining is a recognized leader in the support of UMD Sustainability programs and received three UMD Sustainability Fund Grants:
- 2019 Ocean Friendly Campus
- 2016 Anytime Dining
- 2014 Terp Farm.
- Award-winning program:
- NACUFS awards 2020 Bronze for Sustainability outreach and education
- 2013 Grand Prize for Sustainability and Gold for Waste Management
ELIMINATION OF FOOD INSECURITY ON CAMPUS
- Maryland Dining operates the Maryland Campus Pantry, providing emergency food for terrapin community members in need. For more information or to get involved, go to campuspantry.umd.edu
- The Maryland Campus Pantry remained open throughout campus closure, providing food to terrapins who were left with limited resources.
- Maryland Dining is working with Prince George’s County to provide bags of groceries to county residents homebound as a result of COVID-19.
- We know that you are investing in the Maryland college experience when you decide to live on campus. We are committed to providing outstanding value to students who dine with us.
- When you eat with us, we write the menus, purchase, prep, cook and serve your meal then clean up afterward, all for less than $7.00 per meal.
- You can use Dining Dollars to eat with us in cafes and shops all over campus. Add Dining Dollars to your resident plan and get up to a 21% discount!
Check out the useful links below or contact us at 301-314-8068, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our office in the South Campus Dining Hall (come halfway down the outside stairway on the west side of the building and in through the glass doors). We’re in room 1109, 10:00 am–3:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
We look forward to seeing you at our table!
To learn more about Maryland Dining. check out these links
- 2020–21 Resident Dining
- Menus and information about ingredients and allergens
(click on the location, then on the apple)
- Locations and hours
- Dining Dollars
- Terrapin Express
- Contact our nutrition team (allergies and special diets)
- Spring 2021 Dining FAQ
- Connector Dining Plans
- Maryland Hillel – Kosher dining
- Maryland Campus Pantry
- Dining Services homepage
- Check out our Instagram page with some of this year’s great meals.
- And we’re on Twitter and Facebook – look at our recent posts.