Updated April 8, 2020
Message from the Director of Dining Services
“Dear Dining Plan Students and Families,
I hope this message finds you safe and well.
I know that the last several weeks have been a time filled with uncertainty, concern and questions about the path forward for our campus community. This is especially true for our students who have returned home and are now studying online – and who already paid for residential housing and dining services. As President Loh and Vice President Perillo recently shared, the University will be providing prorated refunds on a number of charges, including charges for dining plans purchased, but unable to be used.
For the most current and comprehensive overview of the refund process and frequently asked questions (FAQS), I encourage you to visit the Student Financial Services and Cashiering website billpay.umd.edu. In addition to that website, we have included on our website several FAQs [found below] specific to Dining Services that may be helpful to you.
These are unprecedented and challenging times. Please know that our team and the team in Student Financial Services are working as quickly as possible to process student refunds in a timely manner and it is our goal to have all credits posted to student accounts by April 30, 2020.
We miss seeing you on campus, in our dining halls and at our tables. We eagerly await the fall semester so that we can welcome you back and begin anew! In the meantime, please stay safe and stay healthy.”
How will the refund from my 7-Day Anytime Dining plan be calculated?
- All of our 7-day Anytime Dining plans (no matter which you selected) has a base cost of $2380 per semester.
- That base cost is divided by the number of days of service during the semester. The spring semester had 109 service days. This gives us the daily cost of $21.83.
- We determine the number of service days students did not have access to the dining halls during the COVID-19 crisis. That number is 60 days.
- Students will be refunded the daily rate multiplied by the days services were not available. So, $21.83 x 60 = $1309.80, which is the refund amount.
I bought an Anytime Dining Plan with Dining Dollars, how will they be refunded?
- All Dining Dollars are purchased at a discounted price, the larger the plan, the larger the discount.
- Depending on the plan you selected, you received a 10%, 12% or 15% discount when you purchased the plan.
- The amount of money you will be refunded will be calculated based on how many Dining Dollars are unspent on your account, less the discount you received.
- As an example, if you purchased a Base Plus plan, your Dining Dollars were discounted 10% when purchased. If you have 80 Dining Dollars remaining, we would refund you $72. ($80 x 10% = $8.00, $80-$8.00 = $72).
I have a 5-Day Anytime Dining plan, what is my refund going to be?
- Our 5-day Anytime Dining plan has a base cost of $1899 per semester.
- That base cost is divided by the number of days of service during the semester. The spring semester had 73 (M-F) service days. This gives us the daily cost of $26.01.
- We determine the number of service days students did not have access to the dining halls during the COVID-19 crisis. That number is 43 (M-F) days.
- Students will be refunded the daily rate multiplied by the days services were not available. So, $26.02 x 43 = $1,118.43, which is the refund amount.
I bought a Connector Plan, what happens to the meals leftover?
- There is a predetermined price per meal associated with each of the Connector plans and you will be refunded for the number of meals remaining multiplied by that price per meal.
- The price per meal for each plan is as follows:
o Option 1 – $10.00 per meal
o Option 2 – $9.50 per meal
o Option 3 – $9.00 per meal
o Combo Plan – $9.39 per meal (the remaining Dining Dollars associated with this plan will be refunded less a 5% discount price built into the price)
I bought the Dining Dollars Optional Plan, what happens to my leftover Dollars?
- The amount of money you will be refunded will be calculated based on how many Dining Dollars are unspent on your account, less the 5% discount you received at purchase.
- As an example, if you purchased $250 Dining Dollars, they were discounted 5% when purchased. If you have 100 Dining Dollars remaining, we would refund you $95. ($100 x 5% = $5.00, $100- $5.00 = $95).
Is it possible to rollover my meals and/or Dining Dollars from this spring to the fall semester?
- We gave this question a lot of thought. But, with over 12,000 accounts to review, we didn’t want to make any mistakes in determining who asked for refunds and who asked for rollovers. And, we certainly did not want to delay credits to Student Accounts, so we will only process refunds.
- As soon as we complete this process, our IT team will begin the necessary steps to re-open our online purchases of dining plans for the fall semester. Please watch for that in late July.
We value your patronage and we look forward to serving you again in the fall.