Freshman Connection Students
Welcome to the University of Maryland!
- Let us introduce you to Dining at Maryland. As a resident dining plan member, enjoy unlimited access dining to our three dining halls—when we are open, you are welcome to join us, whether it’s for a meal, to grab a snack, or maybe just to meet up with your new friends.
- We’re creating a new dining experience for University of Maryland students! Information found elsewhere on our web site refers to the old order of things. Read here to see what you’ll find when you move on campus in August, 2016.
- Read here to preview what you’ll find when you return to campus in August, 2016 and check back here—updates will be posted throughout the spring semester.
RESIDENT DINING PLANS
- This year, for the first time, Resident Dining Plans are Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plans. That’s right—Anytime Dining!
- As a member of the residential community, all students living in traditional campus housing are required to purchase a Resident Dining Plan.
- Freshman connection students who need to enroll in a residential dining plan go to online services. To cancel a dining plan, visit the Contract Office, 1109 South Campus Dining Hall (if you cancel your housing contract, you will need to cancel your dining plan separately).
- All Resident Dining Plans include unlimited access to campus dining halls.
- Unlimited access means that you can come in to any dining hall, as often as you like, anytime we’re open, and eat anything you choose. That’s it!
- Dining Dollars will be part of upgraded resident plans, replacing and enhancing Terp Bucks. Dining Dollars will be accepted in all Dining Services permanent locations including the Dining Services operated brand name locations in the Stamp. Chick fil-A, Taco Bell Express, Auntie Anne’s, Sbarro and Subway have been added to the Dining Dollars family.
- Every dining plan includes a specific number of guest passes per semester. These can be used to bring an occasional guest into the dining halls. Alternately, guests are welcome to pay at the door using cash, credit or Terrapin Express.
- In order to create this change and provide unlimited dining for all resident dining plan members, carryout will not be available from the dining halls.
- To enter the dining hall, wave your hand over a scanner, the scanner recognizes you, the gate opens and you come in to enjoy what you choose. You can come in every day, as many times as you like — and we do not track what food you take each time you dine.
- To register your unique access code, you wave your hand over the reader, scanning four fingerprints at one time. The reader automatically converts the image into a hexadecimal identifier that connects to your dining plan. Prints are not stored, and the data cannot be used to reverse engineer your print.
- All dining locations, including dining halls are open to visitors. We accept cash and credit cards at all locations.
ALLERGIES, INTOLERANCES, AND SPECIAL DIETS
- Our team is well-trained in helping you to manage your allergy, intolerance or dietary preferences.
- We will work with you to identify and select appropriate food from our menus.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for menu guidance and feel free to reach out to us before you arrive on campus.
- Students who would like to maintain a kosher diet should contact the Maryland Hillel Center for information about the Platinum Kosher Dining Plan.
- The Platinum Kosher Dining Plan may be substituted for the Resident Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan. www.hillelmd.org.
WE’RE HERE TO HELP WITH DINING PLAN QUESTIONS
- The Dining Services Office is located in the South Campus Dining Hall Building – use the entrance on the west side of the building, half-way down the outside stairwell. Come in through the glass doors to room 1109.
- We’re open 8:30am–4:30pm Monday through Friday and our team is ready to assist you by answering balance inquiries and other financial questions about your Anytime Dining Plan or adding a Terrapin Express spending account to your UMD ID card.
- The Dining Plan calendar lists important dates – like the start and end date of your dining plan and when we’re closed for breaks.
ADD FLEXIBILITY AND SPENDING POWER TO YOUR DINING PLAN
- Upgrade your Dining Plan to a Plus, Preferred or Premium plan!
- Each of these three upgraded plans included discounted Dining Dollars to use in Dining Services cafés and shops.The upgrade plans also include additional dining hall guest passes for you to bring guests into your campus dining hall.
Anytime Dining Dining Dollars Guest Passes Fall Price* Spring Price Price above
400 8 $2,627 $2,567 +$340 15% DD savings
+6 add’l Guest Passes
300 6 $2,551 $2,491 +$264 12% DD savings
+4 add’l Guest Passes
Base Plus Seven-Day
200 4 $2,467 $2,407 +$180 10% DD savings
+2 add’l Guest Passes
– 2 $2,287 $2,227
- *Any student with a Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan can purchase additional Guest Passes for $9 each.
Must be purchased in advance using cash, or credit cards
Bring your UMD ID card to the Dining Services Office, 1109 South Campus Dining Hall. Card holder must be present when Guest Pass is used.
Why would I want to buy an upgraded (larger) dining plan?
All dining plans provide seven day access to the three campus dining halls. The upgraded (larger) dining plans include Dining Dollars that you can use in 14 cafes, 5 convenience shops, 2 restaurants and 5 brand name locations in the Stamp and in Martin Engineering. While we will do everything we can to make the dining hall experience truly exceptional and hope that the dining halls become your home-away-from-home, we suspect that you’ll want to eat lunch in one of the Cafes on Campus, to get supplies for you room from the Shops at Maryland and have a little Chick fil-A once in a while. When you purchase an upgraded plan, you get Dining Dollars at a discount – and when you use Dining Dollars, the sale is tax free. All in all, Dining Dollars are a pretty good deal for campus residents.
How and when can I change my dining plan?
Dining plans may be changed through the third week of classes each semester. changes are made using Online Services or in person at the Dining Plan Office in the South Campus Dining Hall. We will need your name, UMD ID number, and name of dining plan you want.
I just moved off-campus–how do I cancel my dining plan?
You must request cancellation in writing (in person or using Online Services). Once we verify the cancellation of your housing contract, we will cancel your dining plan. We will need your name, student ID number, and reason for cancellation.
When will my dining dollars balance be available online?
View your current semester dining dollars balance online. If you’ve purchased a plan for an upcoming academic semester, about two weeks before classes start you can verify that you have purchased a plan. As soon as your dining plan is live, your dining dollars will appear.
Who is required to have a dining plan?
Students living in traditional housing (in an on-campus room without a private kitchen) are required to have a dining plan. The determining factor is on-campus residence type: not academic program, class standing, proximity to permanent residence, dietary preferences, or any other circumstance.
Why is a dining plan required?
Traditional halls and suites do not have the equipment required for students to cook their own meals, remove the food waste, or maintain sanitary conditions. There is equipment for occasional cooking but not enough for routine use. Students who reside in traditional halls or suites as defined by the Department of Resident Life are required to have a resident dining plan.
What are the exceptions to this policy?
The primary exception is release from the traditional residence hall contract (either moving to a resident apartment or complete cancellation of the contract). Your key must be returned before Resident Life will cancel your housing contract. You then bring your receipt of housing contract cancellation to the Dining Plan Office in the South Campus Dining Hall in order to cancel your dining plan.
On rare occasions, an exemption is made for medical or religious reasons. In either case, you meet with a Dining Services representative to discuss your request. Any adjustment will be made based on the recommendation of the Dining Services representative.
What if I want to be exempted for a different reason?
You meet with the Dining Services representative. Bring documentation to this meeting. Most times, we discover that the dining plans can satisfy the student’s dietary needs. A Dining Services representative will take the time to understand your situation, research, and evaluate your request. We ask that requests be reasonable and have a sound basis.
How do I pay for my dining plan?
You will receive an invoice from the Bursar’s Office indicating the amount of room and board due. You can send your payment directly to the Bursar’s Office.
Where is the Dining Plan Office and how do I contact them?
1109 South Campus Dining Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
What if I have special dietary requirements?
Contact our nutritionist at 301-314-8058, or by email email@example.com. She can assist you in determining what food items do and do not meet your needs. If indicated, she can introduce you to the dining hall managers who will prepare special meals for you.
Each of the three dining halls offers students a variety of nutritious vegetarian meals and, this year, each features a dedicated vegan station. All of our cafes offer vegetarian and vegan items and the convenience shops carry vegetarian and vegan groceries.
A full kosher meal plan is offered through Hillel.
Is the veggie burger vegan?
The veggie burger cooked in the grill area of both dining rooms is produced by Morningstar and is vegetarian only. The flame-grilled burger available at Sprouts in The Diner is produced by Gardenburger and is vegan.
Are the Chef’s Feature Meals’ vegetables prepared with butter; are they vegan?
All vegetables for the Chef’s Feature Menu are steamed without any additional ingredients. We identify any main entrees and some side items as vegan or vegetarian if appropriate. If a menu item does have something added to it, we identify it within the name of the item, for example, “Buttered Broccoli.” When we advertise that something is “buttered,” we are using 100% vegetable margarine not dairy butter.
How do I order a cake from the Maryland Bakery?
Place your order for a decorated or gourmet bakery cake at one of nine campus locations: The South Commons Shop, The North Convenience Shop, The Union Shop, The 24 Shop, Rudy´s Café, Applause Café, E&M Café, Footnotes Café, and The Maryland Dairy. Fax order form and menu are available online through our Pick It Up at the Shops program.
What is the “Chef’s Feature” Meal?
Chef’s Feature Meals are daily specials available for lunch and dinner in The Diner and South Campus Dining Hall. These meals provide culinary interest, variety, and selection. Monthly menus may be viewed online or in our dining rooms.
I want a kosher meal plan; how do I get one? Do I still have to buy a university dining plan?
New students who plan to live on-campus housing must select one of our dining plan options when they request housing. If you prefer a kosher meal plan, contact the Maryland Hillel Center and sign up for a Platinum Kosher Plan. Before the start of every semester, the Hillel sends us a list of students who have contracted for a Platinum Kosher Plan. As soon as we receive this information, we cancel the contracts and credit the accounts of students who are using the Hillel as their full-time dining room.
Will my kosher meal plan work outside of Hillel?
Kosher Meal Plans are only good at the Maryland Hillel Center.
Can I bring guests to the dining rooms?
Yes, you may. Anytime Dining Plans include dining hall guest passes. If you have used all your guest passes, you or your guest can pay the door price.
Are there dining plans available during the winter or summer terms?
Presently, we recommend Terrapin Express for dining during winter and summer term.
What happens if I lose my UM ID card?
The quickest way to freeze any account is to go online and report your card lost or stolen. Replace your card by going to the Mitchell Building during business hours. Once replaced, please call our dining Plan Office to reactivate your dining plan account.
What are Terrapin Treats?
Terrapin Treats are care packages assembled on campus and sent to you by someone who loves you. There are monthly packages as well as a Birthday Celebration Treat. The packages will be delivered to the convenience store nearest your residence hall, and you will be notified of its arrival.
What are the benefits of Terrapin Express account?
Terrapin Express is a wonderful alternative to carrying cash. Terrapin Express is easy to open, easy to increase, and easy to use. You can use Terrapin Express at dining and non-dining locations across campus, including WAM labs for pay for print and the Library to photocopy. The balance will stay active as long as the patron is part of the university.
How do I open and maintain a Terrapin Express account?
Open a Terrapin Express account and add money to it by calling or stopping by the Terrapin Express Office during business hours. You can use Terrapin Express at dining and non-dining locations across campus, including WAM labs for pay for print and the Library to photocopy. For a complete list of participating locations, go here.
How do I check my Terrapin Express balance?
There are three ways to check your balance: ask any Dining Services cashier for a receipt, call the Terrapin Express Office, or go to Check Your Balance on our website.
Can I transfer dining dollars to Terrapin Express?
Dining dollars may not be transferred to Terrapin Express.