Resident Dining Plans
Welcome to the University of Maryland!
Let us introduce you to Dining at Maryland. As a resident dining plan member, enjoy unlimited access dining to our three dining halls—when we are open, you are welcome to join us, whether it’s for a meal, to grab a snack, or maybe just to meet up with your new friends.
Resident Plans Include Anytime Dining Access
HOW DOES ANYTIME DINING WORK?
- As members of the campus community, all students living in traditional campus housing purchase a Resident Seven-Day Dining Plan.
- Seven-Day Anytime Dining: Every Resident Dining Plan is a Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan. Every Resident Dining Plans includes unlimited access to campus dining halls – come in to any dining hall, anytime we’re open, any number of times a day, and enjoy anything we’re serving. That’s it; anywhere, anytime, with any frequency, anything – there’s no fine print !
- Dining Dollars are part of three upgraded Resident Dining Plans. Dining Dollars are accepted in all Dining Services permanent locations including the Dining Services operated brand name locations in the Stamp and Martin Engineering. For a complete list of dining locations accepting Dining Dollars, click here.
- Guest passes: every Resident Dining Plan includes a specific number of guest passes per semester. These can be used to bring an occasional guest into the dining halls. Alternately, guests are welcome to pay at the door using cash, credit or Terrapin Express.
- The dining hall door price is Breakfast: $7.95, Lunch $12.95, Dinner $15.95.
New to Housing Residents
|Anytime Dining||Dining Dollars||Guest Passes**||Fall Price*||Spring Price||Price above
|400||8||$2,666||$2,606||+$340||15% DD savings
+6 add’l Guest Passes
|300||6||$2,590||$2,530||+$264||12% DD savings
+4 add’l Guest Passes
|200||4||$2,506||$2,446||+$180||10% DD savings
+2 add’l Guest Passes
*Fall price includes Anytime Dining for Fall Welcome and the New Student Welcome event. Returning students are exempted from this charge
**Any student with a Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan can purchase additional Guest Passes for $9 each.
Must be purchased in advance using cash, or credit cards. Bring your UMD ID card to the Dining Services Office, 1109 South Campus Dining Hall. Card holder must be present when Guest Pass is used..
|Anytime Dining||Dining Dollars||Guest Passes**||Fall Price||Spring Price||Price above
|400||8||$2,606||$2,606||+$340||15% DD savings
+6 add’l Guest Passes
|300||6||$2,530||$2,530||+$264||12% DD savings
+4 add’l Guest Passes
|200||4||$2,466||$2,466||+$180||10% DD savings
+2 add’l Guest Passes
**Any student with a Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan can purchase additional Guest Passes for $9 each.
Must be purchased in advance using cash, or credit cards. Bring your UMD ID card to the Dining Services Office, 1109 South Campus Dining Hall. Card holder must be present when Guest Pass is used.
Why would I want Dining Dollars?
IF I HAVE UNLIMITED ACCESS TO THE DINING HALLS WHY WOULD I WANT DINING DOLLARS?
- To change things up
- Sure we serve great food at the 42 stations in our three dining halls but an occasional change of pace is a good thing.
- You may want to grab a quick lunch in a cafe in the building where you have a class.
- We run several of the places in the campus food courts. Chick fil-A, Sbarro, Subway, Taco Bell, and Auntie Anne’s In the Stamp and in Glenn Martin Engineering take Dining Dollars.
- You want Starbucks? Dining Dollars work at 6 campus cafes serving Starbucks.
- To stock up on snacks for your room
- Five campus convenience shops accept Dining Dollars. Grab some favorites to eat in your room.
- Also available at the Shops – toiletries, school supplies and much more!
- Shops are open long, long hours. The 24 Shop is open around the clock while school is in session!
IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO BUYING DINING DOLLARS?
- Yes – of course there is !
- When you buy Dining Dollars you always get a discount.
- When you use Dining Dollars you never pay tax.
- Depending on how many you buy, you can net a 5 to 21 per cent discount! Buy more; bigger discount/
- Dining Dollars go on your Student Account and can be included in a Terp Payment Plan. .
- We absolutely take cash, credit and debit cards everywhere but you get great value with Dining Dollars
HOW DO I GET DINING DOLLARS?
- When you enroll in a Resident Dining Plan, select one of the dining plan upgrades to get two, three or four hundred Dining Dollars.
- If you’re not a resident, go to dining.umd.edu select “Account” at the top right, and follow the prompts to purchase a block of Dining Dollars.
I’M GETTING RESIDENT DINING PLAN. HOW MANY DINING DOLLARS DO YOU RECOMMEND?
- All the plans are great – the plan we believe fits most students’ needs is the Preferred Plan.
- The Preferred Plan, with 300 Dining Dollars per semester give you about 19 Dining Dollars per week for the Cafes, Shops and Food Courts.
- The Preferred Plan, with 300 Dining Dollars and 4 extra guest passes is only $264 more than the Base Plan
- Dining Dollars don’t roll over but there’s no need to loose them – stop by a C-Shop and get dorm room supplies or snacks for next semester.
I ALREADY SIGNED UP AND DIDN’T BUY DINING DOLLARS WHAT DO I DO?
- You can upgrade your Fall Resident Dining Plan anytime between August 15 and September 30 (Spring between January 15 and February 28)
- Go to dining.umd.edu, select “Account” at the top right, and follow the prompts to upgrade your dining plan.
- To enter the dining hall, wave your hand over a scanner, the scanner recognizes you, the gate opens and you come in to enjoy what you choose. You can come in every day, as many times as you like — and we do not track what food you take each time you dine.
- To register your unique access code, you wave your hand over the reader, scanning four measurements at one time. The reader automatically converts the image into a hexadecimal identifier that connects to your dining plan. Prints are not stored, and the data cannot be used to reverse engineer your print.
- All dining locations, including dining halls are open to visitors. We accept cash and credit cards at all locations.
ALLERGIES, INTOLERANCES, AND SPECIAL DIETS
- Our team is well-trained in helping you to manage your allergy, intolerance or dietary preferences.
- We will work with you to identify and select appropriate food from our menus.
- Contact us at email@example.com for menu guidance and feel free to reach out to us before you arrive on campus.
- Students who would like to maintain a kosher diet should contact the Maryland Hillel Center for information about the Platinum Kosher Dining Plan.
- The Platinum Kosher Dining Plan may be substituted for the Resident Seven-Day Anytime Dining Plan. www.marylandhillel.org.
WE’RE HERE TO HELP WITH DINING PLAN QUESTIONS
- The Dining Services Office is located in the South Campus Dining Hall Building – use the entrance on the west side of the building, half-way down the outside stairwell. Come in through the glass doors to room 1109.
- We’re open 8:30am–4:30pm Monday through Friday and our team is ready to assist you by answering balance inquiries and other financial questions about your Anytime Dining Plan or adding a Terrapin Express spending account to your UMD ID card.
- The Dining Plan calendar lists important dates – like the start and end date of your dining plan and when we’re closed for breaks.
ADD FLEXIBILITY AND SPENDING POWER TO YOUR DINING PLAN
- Upgrade your Dining Plan to a Plus, Preferred or Premium plan!
- Each of these three upgraded plans included discounted Dining Dollars to use in Dining Services cafés and shops.The upgrade plans also include additional dining hall guest passes for you to bring guests into your campus dining hall.
What are the advantages of Anytime Dining?
ANYTIME DINING MEETS THE NEEDS OF RESIDENT STUDENTS
In the fall of 2015, we sent the National Association of College and University Food Service (NACUFS) satisfaction survey to every UMD resident student. Over 2,250 students responded (about 26%), providing us feedback and hundreds of comments. Students told us in no uncertain terms that the old retail dining plans did not provide enough food for the whole semester, and that a significant number of resident students were worried about having enough to eat – or simply did not have access to enough healthy food to get through the semester.
“Anytime Dining” shifts us from a business model to a service model. Instead of selling individual food items, we provide the food, the services, and the experiences resident students want and need throughout the semester. No resident student has to worry about having enough points to buy their next meal. Every resident student is assured unlimited access to meals and snacks in the dining halls throughout the entire semester.
ANYTIME DINING IMPROVES STUDENT EXPERIENCES AND INCREASES SATISFACTION
Six focus groups, repeated internal customer service surveys, the NACUFS survey mentioned above, two consultants, and the RHA and SGA agreed that we needed to make a dramatic shift in our operating framework to increase student satisfaction. Our old program provided many great experiences but it did not provide a sense of belonging, demonstrable financial advantage, or places to relax and feel at home. Additional themes that appeared in student feedback include a strong desire for more variety, value and healthy options –all focus areas addressed by Anytime Dining.
ANYTIME DINING IS MORE SUSTAINABLE
In order to make these changes to Anytime Dining, we eliminated carryout from the dining halls. Dining Services has been a leader in sustainability initiatives and shares the University’s vision of a fully sustainable campus, and yet students in our two a la carte dining halls used over 6.3M pieces of disposable product every year. These items could be seen discarded in trash cans in academic buildings and resident halls – as well as in dumpsters on campus. This burden has been removed from the waste stream.
ANYTIME DINING ENHANCES THE MARYLAND COMMUNITY
We will continue to upgrade the campus dining experience. Dining halls include convenient areas for groups to gather for study or socializing. There is seating for smaller groups and for individuals. There are television viewing areas. In response to your suggestions, we have added a quiet room in each dining hall that is self-monitored by students who are using the space for study or quiet dining. Our long-term vision includes amenities like charging stations, gaming stations, and lounge areas.
I don’t live in “traditional campus housing.” Is there a plan for me?
YES !! While students who do not live in traditional on campus housing are not required to purchase a dining plan, you can purchase a seven-day anytime dining plan, a five-day anytime dining plan, or blocks of Dining Dollars at a discount (5% discount upon purchase and no sales tax when used (6%)).
Why would I want to buy an upgraded (larger) dining plan?
All dining plans provide seven day anytime access to the three campus dining halls. The upgraded dining plans include Dining Dollars that you can use in 19 cafes, 5 convenience shops, 2 restaurants and 7 brand name locations in the Stamp and in Martin Engineering. While we will do everything we can to make the dining hall experience truly exceptional and hope that the dining halls become your home-away-from-home, we suspect that you’ll want to eat lunch in a cafe, get supplies for your room from the Shops and maybe have a little Chick fil-A once in a while. When you purchase an upgraded plan, you get Dining Dollars at a discount – and when you use Dining Dollars, the sale is tax free. All in all, Dining Dollars are a pretty good deal.
How and when can I change my dining plan?
Fall dining plans may be changed August 15 through September 30 and Spring dining plans may be changed January 15 through February 28. Changes are made using Online Services or in person at the Dining Plan Office in the South Campus Dining Hall. We will need your name, UMD ID number, and name of dining plan you want.
I just moved off-campus–how do I cancel my dining plan?
You must request cancellation in writing (in person or using Online Services). Once we verify the cancellation of your housing contract, we will cancel your dining plan. We will need your name, student ID number, and reason for cancellation.
When will my dining dollars balance be available online?
View your current semester dining dollars balance online. If you’ve purchased a plan for an upcoming academic semester, about two weeks before classes start you can verify that you have purchased a plan. As soon as your dining plan is live, your dining dollars will appear.
Is a dining plan required?
Students living in traditional housing (in an on-campus room without a private kitchen) are required to have a dining plan. The determining factor is on-campus residence type: not academic program, class standing, proximity to permanent residence, dietary preferences, or any other circumstance.
Why is a dining plan required?
Traditional halls and suites do not have the equipment required for students to cook their own meals, remove the food waste, or maintain sanitary conditions. There is equipment for occasional cooking but not enough for routine use. Students who reside in traditional halls or suites as defined by the Department of Resident Life are required to have a resident dining plan.
What are the exceptions to this policy?
The primary exception is release from the traditional residence hall contract (either moving to a resident apartment or complete cancellation of the contract). Your key must be returned before Resident Life will cancel your housing contract. You then bring your receipt of housing contract cancellation to the Dining Plan Office in the South Campus Dining Hall in order to cancel your dining plan.
On rare occasions, an exemption is made for medical or religious reasons. In either case, you meet with a Dining Services representative to discuss your request. Any adjustment will be made based on the recommendation of the Dining Services representative.
What if I want to be exempted for a different reason?
You meet with the Dining Services representative. Bring documentation to this meeting. Most times, we discover that the dining plans can satisfy the student’s dietary needs. A Dining Services representative will take the time to understand your situation, research, and evaluate your request. We ask that requests be reasonable and have a sound basis.
How do I pay for my dining plan?
You will receive an invoice from the Bursar’s Office indicating the amount of room and board due. You can send your payment directly to the Bursar’s Office.
Where is the Dining Plan Office and how do I contact them?
1109 South Campus Dining Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
What if I have special dietary requirements?
Contact our nutritionist at 301-314-8058, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. She can assist you in determining what food items do and do not meet your needs. If indicated, she can introduce you to the dining hall managers who will prepare special meals for you.
Each of the three dining halls offers students a variety of nutritious vegetarian meals and, this year, each features a dedicated vegan station. All of our cafes offer vegetarian and vegan items and the convenience shops carry vegetarian and vegan groceries.
A full kosher meal plan is offered through Hillel.
I want a kosher meal plan; how do I get one? Do I still have to buy a university dining plan?
New students who plan to live on-campus housing must select one of our dining plan options when they request housing. If you prefer a kosher meal plan, contact the Maryland Hillel Center and sign up for a Platinum Kosher Plan. Before the start of every semester, the Hillel sends us a list of students who have contracted for a Platinum Kosher Plan. As soon as we receive this information, we cancel the contracts and credit the accounts of students who are using the Hillel as their full-time dining room.
Will my kosher meal plan work outside of Hillel?
Kosher Meal Plans are only good at the Maryland Hillel Center.
Can I bring guests to the dining halls?
Yes, you may. Anytime Dining Plans include dining hall guest passes. If you have used all your guest passes, you or your guest can pay the door price.
Are there dining plans available during the winter or summer terms?
Presently, we recommend Terrapin Express for dining during winter and summer term.
What happens if I lose my UM ID card?
The quickest way to freeze any account is to go online and report your card lost or stolen. Replace your card by going to the Mitchell Building during business hours. Once replaced, please call our dining Plan Office to reactivate your dining plan account.
How do I order a cake from the Maryland Bakery?
Place your order for a decorated or gourmet bakery cake at one of nine campus locations: The South Commons Shop, The North Convenience Shop, The Union Shop, The 24 Shop, Rudy´s Café, Applause Café, E&M Café, Footnotes Café, and The Maryland Dairy. Fax order form and menu are available online through our Pick It Up at the Shops program.
What are Terrapin Treats?
Terrapin Treats are care packages assembled on campus and sent to you by someone who loves you. There are monthly packages as well as a Birthday Celebration Treat. The packages will be delivered to the convenience store nearest your residence hall, and you will be notified of its arrival.
What are the benefits of Terrapin Express account?
Terrapin Express is a wonderful alternative to carrying cash. Terrapin Express is easy to open, easy to increase, and easy to use. You can use Terrapin Express at dining and non-dining locations across campus, including WAM labs for pay for print and the Library to photocopy. The balance will stay active as long as the patron is part of the university.
How do I open and maintain a Terrapin Express account?
Open a Terrapin Express account and add money to it by calling or stopping by the Terrapin Express Office during business hours. You can use Terrapin Express at dining and non-dining locations across campus, including WAM labs for pay for print and the Library to photocopy.
How do I check my Terrapin Express balance?
There are three ways to check your balance: ask any Dining Services cashier for a receipt, call the Terrapin Express Office, or go to Check Your Balance on our website.
Can I transfer dining dollars to Terrapin Express?
Dining dollars may not be transferred to Terrapin Express.